[mythtv-users] Can't get mythtv to read video from /dev/video0

rob.parkhill at shaw.ca rob.parkhill at shaw.ca
Sat Nov 22 01:12:08 EST 2003

Hi Folks:

  To start with, I am running an EPIA M10000 w/ a PVR-250, RedHat 9, mythtv 0.12, following Jarod's ATrpm install instructions.

I am using the S-video input on the PVR-250.

The problem is that I can't get mythtv to display the video from the PVR-250. I can't record anything, and I can't display anything in Live TV mode. If I select "Live TV" from mythfrontend, mythtv just seems to hang, and I have to alt-tab back to the terminal window it was run from and ctrl-c to quit. The same thing happens when I try to select the "watch recordings" option.

The "cat /dev/video0 > foo.mpg" test works fine, and I get full video and audio recorded and played back through mplayer.

When I launch mythtvsetup, and go into the "Capture Cards" section, I pick add my PVR-250 as the only capture card. On the capture card setting page, I have /dev/video0 set as the video device (yes, I have verified that the PVR-250 is using this device, as in the "cat" test above.)

However, in the "Default Input" field, there are 10 choices!

Composite 0
Composite 1
Composite 2
Composite 3
Tuner 0
Composite 4
S-Video 0
S-Video 1
S-Video 2
S-Video 3

I have tried all 4 of the S-video inputs, all with the same result as noted above.

I'm a bit stumped.

Any help or random bits of advice are appreciated!

thanks...
         Rob