[mythtv-users] Linux Mythtv Questions

Ken Bass kbass at kenbass.com
Fri Nov 21 15:04:39 EST 2003

I'm not sure it was a troll. I think Keith's point, after looking at the
original post, is that the way the person (Dave) asked their question
implied someone who is very new to the concepts of compiling and installing
downloaded software. In addition Dave said he is new to linux! While mythtv
is a great project, it has a steep learning curb and not having any linux
(and perhaps unix experience) is tough. At this point in time, I wouldn't
recommend mythtv to non-technical people (like my neighbors, etc) - its just
not stable enough. All I have to do is watch (and try to explain) some of
these concepts to my wife and I realize that.

On the other hand, Dave said he was willing to learn and one you get mythtv
working I think it is worth it if you are willing to invest the time.