[mythtv-users] Looking for Capture Card Recommendations

Boyd II, Willy wboyd at fulbright.com
Wed Nov 19 11:10:51 EST 2003

lol, I know what you mean.  I think I just use command line alsamixer, moved
over to Line In, hit 'c' for capture, and 'm' for mute.  Might be wrong on
those keys,
but that sounds right.  Then I think 'Esc' for quit.

>If you could post your configuration (output from amixer)
>I'll see if I can reproduce it on my hardware.

Sure, no problem, I'll post that when I get home later this evening.

>> Careful; From what I understand, the bttv cards that capture audio
>> (mostly?) use btaudio, which I think only does 32000Hz sampling, and
>> you'll need to make sure all your settings
>> (in myth and sound out) agree with this, it's been the
>source of many a
>> complaint on the list.  I have no idea if the low sampling
>equates to lower
>> sound quality either.  However, multiple tuners would be a
>bonus, and much
>> cheaper than multiple pvr250's.  If you can find one on eBay
>though, I have
>> a 250 and it's like a dream compared to the analog tuners
>I've used in the
>> past :-)
>
>Hmm...so it sounds like the 250 is the way to go.
>Just to clarify: the 250 has on-board sound capture, yes ?

Way to go for quality, and for being paired with lesser hardware, but as
you probably know, kind of costly.  Anyway, yes the 250 has on-board sound
capture (from the coax or from a stereo-miniplug, which you can use a cheap
RCA-to-miniplug adapter for)  And because all the encoding is done in
hardware, you get
perfect audio/video sync without relying on the cpu.  Finally, if you get a
newer
250 (or a 350), with the grey remote, you get nice remote with it :-)  Even
if
you end up with the crappy, few-buttons, black remote, you can use the IR
sensor
with the card and some universal remotes.  I'm using a radio shack 15-2114,
that was like $10, and using the jp1 interface used my computer to program
it for the pvr card and use
it with myth :-)  (NOTE:  model of that remote is something I promised to
post a while
back and forgot, so hopefully anyone interested caught that).

- Willy