[mythtv-users] Mobo options?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Nov 18 17:10:55 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 13:28, Ben Curtis wrote:
> So, I'm one of the not-so-proud kt133 owners and am just going to replace
> this mobo.  I'd like to stick with the Athlon XP 2100+ and PC2100 RAM I
> have for now.  From searching the list and the pvrhw database, I've come
> up with this list so far:
>
> Chaintech 7NIF2  $85
> http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/product_spec.asp?MPSNo=13&PISNo=15
> This is what Jared used in his guide.  However, I'm curious, since it is
> micro-atx and only has 3 pci slots, can I use the AGP and top PCI slot at
> the same time?  Uses NVIDIA nForce2 IGP + nForce2 MCP.  I'm not too keen
> on the Micro-ATX, but if its sure to work...  Integrated GeForce4 MX, but
> I duno about TVout.  Is there a full sized version of this board?

No full size version of this board that I'm aware of. Most of
Chaintech's full ATX boards don't have onboard video (and those that do
aren't nForce2, IIRC). However, with this board, you do have onboard
S-Video TV-Out (and it is truly onboard, no rear panel bracket covering
an expansion slot required). And yes, you can use all three PCI slots
and the AGP slot at the same time.

> MSI KT4V  $60
> http://www.msicomputer.com/product/detail_spec/product_detail.asp?model=KT4VL&search_text=KT4V
> Rated a 10 on the hardware DB.  But I've read some issues online about
> overheating chips on this board.  Not sure if it's really that bad or not.
> This is a VIA chipset (newer though, KT400).  What are the possibilities
> of DMA errors on it?

Some folks have reported DMA problems on KT400 boards, some work fine.
Your odds are better than with the KT133 boards, but ymmv...

> ASUS A7N8X-VM $91
> http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7n8x-vm/overview.htm
> on the hardware DB (A7N8X, this one is an upgrade, has onboard LAN).  A
> non via audio chipset, so I'd have to redo Alsa. Uses the nVidia nForce2
> IGP chipset.  Also has integrated GeForce 4 MX.

Now, the VM is also micro-ATX... But TV-Out requires a bracket that
costs extra (add $15 to your total). Not sure about the sound, but it
may actually be the same audio chipset in reality, just marketed under a
different name. Almost all onboard audio chipsets are really either
Intel 8x0 or Realtek ALC650 these days...

> I really like the ASUS, but I'm leaning toward the MSI because of price
> (1/3rd less), unless someone tells me otherwise or produces another good
> alternative.

Personally, I opted to buy my Chaintech board from a local shop, since I
didn't know how well it would work going into the deal. That way, I
could exchange/replace it much easier than an online purchase. If you go
with the MSI, I would recommend doing the same, just to be safe (because
of the DMA crapshoot). I'll vouch for the Chaintech though. Perhaps
someone else can vouch for the MSI? :)

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...