[mythtv-users] Urgent Questions

Torsten Schenkel torsten.schenkel at web.de
Tue Nov 18 12:36:13 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 15:40, Nick Breau wrote:
> I think what I'll do is use my Ahtlon 2600 as a single box MythTV setup (as
> long as I will still be able to use tihs occasionally as a standard Linux
> box for running other apps using the TV instead of monitor)

Well, if this is occasional use, as in "don't need absolute speed", I'd
set up the P2 as an X-Terminal. This would only need a basic Linux
installation with XFree and connect to the xdm/gdm/kdm on the Athlon.
The Windowmanager and Applications will run on the Athlon and the
display will be on the P2. This won't work with multimedia content, as
playing the video with mplayer on the X-Terminal. But it will be better
working than on TV. I had some 486DX2-66 running in the lab in that way,
which made them usable again. A graphics card capable of a 1024
resolution is all that's needed on the terminal side.

> What will I need to add to the following, nothing except for a Tv capture
> card ?  Have people been able to successfully implement wireless network or
> a powerline network into RH9 ?
>

> CPU                        AMD 2600+ Athlon
>
> Motherboard        ASUS A7V8X-X K7 (Sound & Lan)

Remember to disable local APIC in the kernel, with RH-kernels that's
already done. The NForce2 chipset is very unstable with APIC.

> Memory                 512MB DDR400

Fine.

> Hard Drive             Western Digital 80GB 7200 (8mb cache)

If you have it already, OK, if not, go for 160GB 5400rpm.

> CD-ROM               LG 16x DVD-ROM

> CD-RW                  MSI 52x/24x/52x
>
> LAN                       3COM (3CSM100B)
>
> Video Card            Asus - V9180TD Graphics card - GeForce4 MX 440 - 64MB
> DDR - AGP 8x - DVI - Dual VGA - TV-out

> Will add PVR350 capture card

Try the TV out of this baby and you don't want to use anything else. You
can't use it for anything beyond mpeg1 and mpeg2 at the moment, but I
guess YUV playback will come, once the drive has grown stable and then
there will be output for mplayer/xine eventually.

Until then you can set up a dual headed X and display DVD/DivX on the
second (GForce) Tv-out. A DD-Amp with two seperate Video inputs comes in
handy in that case.

Torsten
--
Config files for pvr350 tv-out and framebuffer:
http://www-isl.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de/~hi93/ivtv-pvr-350-conf.tgz