[mythtv-users] Tools for handling captured video

Boyd II, Willy wboyd at fulbright.com
Tue Nov 18 10:35:23 EST 2003

Honestly I'm not positive with the command-line, as I've never really tried.
But if you to watch the show through MythTV, and hit 'X', it will start the
transcoding and run it in the background (meaning you can stop watching now
if you like).  This also depends on your recording profiles being set up
right (make sure Transcoders is set to MPEG4, pick your bitrate, etc)

>I guess another question would be what is a good capture video
>resolution? 480x480 didn't seem like a bad choice, but a 1 gig
>for 30 mins seems rather large.

What's just as important is the bitrate.  If you have your PVR encoder set
to record at 6000/8000peak (check the recording profiles in setup), then it
will be the same file size regardless of resolution (but one may look
better).  Experiment with cranking down the bitrate and the resolution until
you get something that looks acceptable but is decent size.  I recently
started using 480x352 and 2500/5000 peak, but it looks a little too muddy to
me, so I'm still fooling with it.

>Anyway, let's say I do have a video that is 1 gig in size, how
>can I split this file so I can make a two SVCD's on CDROM for
>example.  I guess my question also is what tools do people use
>to split videos up in say 15 meg parts when the upload them to USENET.

Not sure here.  I'm sure someone else will chime in.