[mythtv-users] Adding a second satellite/cable box

David George david at onyxsoft.com
Mon Nov 17 09:57:45 EST 2003

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Jason Hunt wrote:

> Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 08:38:22 -0600
> From: Jason Hunt <jhunt at akula.org>
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Subject: [mythtv-users] Adding a second satellite/cable box
>
> Greetings,
>
> Let's say that I get another satellite box so I can get MythTV to record a
> show when I am watching something else at the scheduled recorded time.
>
> My question is about the hookup.  I have the coax going into satellite in on
> the first satellite box, so what would I put in the satellite in on the
> second box?  Will a splitter work in this situation?  Or do I require
> something else?
>
> Thanks

Unfortunately it is not as easy as just adding a splitter.  Most likely
you will want a multiswitch.  But in order to watch two separate programs
you will also need a dual-LNB or more.  You will need to know if your dish
has a single, dual, or some other configuration LNB.

Hope this helps.  I have done much research on this as my triple LNB dish
(Directv w/HDTV) has a built-in 4-way multiswitch.

David