[mythtv-users] LVM & Disk Performance

Olivier obrodeur at videotron.ca
Mon Nov 17 02:22:36 EST 2003

Hi,

I just installed a second hard drive into my mythtv box and I following the recommendation of using LVM partition. What I did not expect is that my tv quality would get affected.

Before I installed this drive, I had a older 20G drive (5000 rpm I believe) drive with default partition from rh9 install and everything was ok.

I then installed a 80G drive, with LVM partion, and as soon as I tell mythtv to store ringbuffer on this on, the tv playback start to become choppy with small ~300ms pause every 2 second or so.

I don't understand; I though this drive was slightly faster, and I did not think LVM was slower... Maybe I did something wrong with the LVM partition: this is pretty new stuff to me.

Here is what I did:

fdisk /dev/hdb
// create a single partition of type 8e (LVM)
n p 1 ret ret t 8e p w
reboot
pvcreate /dev/hdb1
vgcreate -s 64m vg0 /dev/hdb1
vgdisplay -v
lvcreate --n localdisk --size 76.25G vg0
mkfs.ext3 -T largefile4 -m 0 /dev/vg0/localdisk
mount /dev/vg0/localdisk /localdisk

Help much appreciated;

Cheers,
Olivier.