[mythtv-users] Using Multiple inputs on a pvr 250

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sat Nov 15 15:43:14 EST 2003

Jason Dinkelmann wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I have been searching for a couple hours this morning trying to figure out
> how to set up my PVR 250 to use the coax input and the composite input.
> While I have found some information in the archives but no real solutions.
> Not much in the documentation either :(
>
> So I come to you...
>
> Here is what I am trying to do:
> I subscribe to digital cable and thus need a decoder box to view channels
>
>>125.  Currently I can only record channels 1-77 as those are the analog
>
> channels.  I want to be able to record PPV channels from the cable box via
> the composite input (no s-vid on the cable box).
>
> I think the steps I need to take are as follows:
> 1. create a new video source for the composite input (digital cable)

Correct.

> 2. associate input connection for composite 1 (or 0 or 2 or 3 or 4?) with
> the digital cable video source.

Yes, yes...

> 3. fix XMLTV so that it only grabs the digital channels

After exiting "setup" but before(!) you run mythfilldatabase,
edit $HOME/.mythtv/<sourcename>.xmltv . Put "#" in front of
the channels you don't want to include. The grabber needs to
verify that the channum and callsign are there but won't grab
data if it is commented out.

>     From what I have read in the archives, if I don't do this some doubling
> up in the EPG will occur, correct?.  To get around this, I would go into the
> database and xmltv setup and comment out the analog channels so it would not
> grab them.  Correct?

If you have two sources and they both have a channel 7, there
would be listing for 1007 (coax input) and 2007 (set top box).
If you picked a show to record on the EPG, it would only ever
record on the input of the listing you happened to pick. Avoid
this =).

> Just so you understand, I don't want myth to actually change the channels
> for me on the cable box (not yet anyway), as I really just want to record
> PPV movies that I order, So I can program that in advance or tune to the
> correct channel when I am watching this.

This is easy! Don't setup an IR blaster ;-).

> Let me know if this seems like the correct path to make this happen or if I
> am just living in a pipe dream.  Will any of this be a problem using a PVR
> 250?  Will myth switch inputs for me on this card or will I need to do that
> manually?  Oh the drama!

MythTV will tell the card which input to use along with all
the other info for recording parameters that you set through
the user interface.

--  bjm