[mythtv-users] packaging lirc or "nightmare on mythtv street" (was: chkconfig lirc failing any suggestions)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Sat Nov 15 05:31:29 EST 2003

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 07:43:12PM -0800, Dan wrote:
> hmm, now it seems there is no...um../usr/bin/irw to execute??
>
> doing..
> ]# rpm -qa | grep lirc
> lirc-lib-0.7.0-pre2_16.rh9.at
> lirc-kmdl-2.4.20-20_29.rh9.at-0.7.0-pre2_16.rh9.at
>

> thoughts??

You only have lirc-lib and lirc-kmdl-* installed. For lircd/irw etc
you need lirc itself, e.g.

apt-get install lirc

But the mythtv rpms are now build with native lirc support, which
drops dependencies on irxevents for instance.

I am not a lirc expert (TM), in fact I have never used or even seen
any lirc device, so it is difficult for me to debug. Perhaps there is
still need for the lirc daemon (I thought liblirc_client & kmdls are
all myth needs), so I should put a stronger dependency back to mythtv
(or split off the lircd into its own package).

Any input is welcome.

There is also another very old problem with lirc, where building the
built lirc daemon is always associated with a device
(e.g. Hauppauge). In fact that was my main motivation to go native
lirc, to be able to work around this.

People installing lirc for different remotes have a good insight into
the common/different components of lirc, so please advise! :)

In a nutshell:
o lirc kmdls seem to go well ever since (because each kmdl has a
  different name, therfore no overlaps).

o lircd seems to have to be rebuild for each driver, beacause the
  driver is hardcoded in the deamon. A solution could be to build
  lircd-<driver> daemons and let the user symlink lircd to his version
  (ugly!).

o what components does mythtv with native lirc really need?
  liblirc_client & kmdls are known, what else, lircd?

o packaging lirc is a nightmare ...
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de