[mythtv-users] Any success with ATI TV Wonder Pro (no, not All-In-Wonder)

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sat Nov 15 03:31:33 EST 2003

On Nov 14, 2003, at 22:29, David Griffiths wrote:

> I've been playing around with this for a few weeks.
>
> I know about the cx88 drivers at bytesex.org/cx88, and I've tried them
> with SuSE 9.1 Pro, RH 9, Slackware 9.1.
>
> With Slack, I've tried patching the kernel with the .diff file, I've
> tried upgrading the kernel to the 2.4.23rc and building the
> tarball-snapshot.
>
> My last effort was RH9 with a 2.4.20 kernel (the latest rpm) and the
> cx88 RPM files. XAWTV is installed, but it complains that there is no
> video device available.

Yeah, I've got an MSI TV at nywhere that is a cx88 card, and no love.
Someone I'm in communication with actually got an Asus cx88 card to
work after quite some time, applying bytesex.org patches to kernel.org
kernels, but with video only (no audio). The only card that is really
guaranteed to work (once you actually get a functional driver) is the
newer WinTV-Go, which is what the primary development is being done on.

> Anyway, just wondering if I should bite the bullet and get a Hauppauge
> PVR-250, or if someone has some advice. BTW, I noticed that the
> drivers over at bytesex.org/snapshot were updated - looks like a
> monolithic drive now, which should help to reduce dependencies.

I would. The TV Wonder Pro is rather new, and even less-supported than
the already not-yet-very-well-supported other cx88 cards. That, or get
an AVerMedia M179 for $50 off eBay. I have two on the way, to add to my
PVR-250, pcHDTV, MSI TV at nywhere and AVerTV Studio. Not that I have time
to play with much of any of them anymore...

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...