[mythtv-users] I'm in....

Chris Delis chris at delis.net
Fri Nov 14 19:28:21 EST 2003

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Chris Delis wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Michael Janer wrote:
>
> > Why is it that SageTV can do this channel change with a PVR 250 or 350 at about the same speed as a Tivo?  I would imagine the engine in mythtv can be sped up in some way.  Sagetv has a client server setup also and seems to be able to make the channel changes pretty decent ~1 second.  I imagine if SageTV can do it with java and windows, Mythtv should definately be able to do it.
>

> First of all, it has nothing to do with the recreating the ringbuffer! :-)
> (Willy and Isaac's posts on myth-dev set me straight on that!)
>
> After perusing some code a little (experts, please correct me if I'm
> wrong... I'm just trying to learn/understand and _not_ complaining :-),
> it seems that the thread communication in mythfrontend is a little laxed
> in handling state changes (probably done on purpose because it simplifies
> development, not as many semaphores/mutexes/etc to deal with, which
> means less chance for deadlock).  For instance, in libmythtv/tv_rec.cpp,
> I notice a few busy-waits here and there such as:

Blah blah blah...

Please ignore my last email where I was babbling about busy-waits, etc.
in mythfrontend (tv_rec.cpp).  The only delay that would cause is
in the responsiveness of the GUI (length of time between sending the
"channel up" event and the GUI responding to it).   This does add to the
overall delay in channel changing, but it is probably not that important.
I'm guessing most users don't _really_ notice the hangtime until _after_
they see the OSD pop up.

I will quit now! (while I'm still behind ;-)

Cheers,
Chris