[mythtv-users] Re: ALSA problems (Jarod's ATrpms guide)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Fri Nov 14 03:18:52 EST 2003

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 01:05:06AM -0700, Chad Coulliette, Ph.D. wrote:
> I am having problems with step 9 of Jarod's ATrpms guide... after
> following the steps to download/install alsa with apt-get, edit the
> modules.conf file, and create the /home/mythtv/.asoundrc file, I tried
> the aplay test described in the guide.  This error occured:
>
> aplay: main:503: audio open error: No such device

It looks like the modules have not been loaded. Check
/var/log/messages to see why. Also check the output of lsmod (look for
instances of snd and sound substrings).

Best diagnostics can be made by running in single user (boot into
single user), make sure no snd/sound and related modules are loaded
and modprobe char-major-116. The errors should be displayed right on
screen.

Check also the output of

rpm -qa alsa*
rpm -q kernel