[mythtv-users] Re: FX5200 for Mythtv?

Ben Curtis fmstratk at coronium.com
Wed Nov 12 16:30:23 EST 2003

> What are people's thoughts of this versus the MX boards? I'm using an
> MX SE 420 with Tvout (I believe it's the onboard NV17) and the quality
> of color is horrendous. Terrible saturation makes video very messy, and
> with mplayer I can correct but not Myth so I'm seeking a replacement
> (and recommendations!)

I've got a 5200FX.  Don't plan on using APT for installing new kernels if
you get it.  When you first install RedHat, you have to install in text
mode because the VESA Xwin driver doesn't work with the 5200FX.  After the
first boot, you'll install the nVidia drivers, then reset the runlevel to
5 and it works.

BUT, installing the APT kernel promptly makes the Xwin driver fail.  One
of the install docs for RedHat states this, too.

Ben