[mythtv-users] Broadening Record Duplicates?

Ben Curtis fmstratk at coronium.com
Wed Nov 12 13:31:45 EST 2003

>From what I can tell, "don't record duplicates" works by comparing title,
episode, and description.  If the recording has all of these, it's added
to the oldrecordings table, and matched against later.  If either of these
fields is blank, it is not added and recorded, even if it may be a
duplicate.  Right?

So, many shows get left out because they leave the description field
blank.  You can't compare without description because many other shows set
the Episode name to the same value for every episode, so you would miss
shows.

That being said, couldn't mythtv validate against the current program
guide to see if its a duplicate?  Example:

- Show comes on Thursday, at 1:30AM.
    Title: Blue Gender
    Episode: Oasis
  This is added to the oldrecorded table reguardless of missing
description

- Show comes on again at 4:30AM
    Title: Blue Gender
    Episode: Oasis
  Now, this episode matches the one in the oldrecorded table, BUT it has a
null in one of the three fields, so lets compare it to the programs in the
guide for the past/present/future (I.E. everything in the programs table
and/or oldrecorded table).

- Some of what we find (distinct records):
    Title: Episode: Description
    Blue Gender: Oasis: null
    Blue Gender: Confirm: null
    Blue Gender: Go Mad: null

- Now, since the description is null for all, and the episode is not the
same for every record, we now know that it can be considered a distinct
record, and can mark it as duplicate or not based on just title and
episode.

So what happens if we didn't find any other records in the guide?  Just
consider it NOT a duplicate, and record it.

Any reasons why this wouldn't work?

Ben