[mythtv-users] PVR-350 TV out

Nelson Butterworth red_five at charter.net
Wed Nov 12 10:33:38 EST 2003

The TV-out on the PVR-350 does not "just work". It takes some work to
get it working. Fortunately, there is an excellent how-to on this forum.
Try this link:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/archive/MythTV_C2/Users_F11/My_first_attempt_at_PVR-350_TV-out_howto_%28very_LONG%29_P88550/

I'm not sure why debian at nc said that it "just works", because it
definitely does not. There are modules to compile and install, an
XF86Config file to modify, and a couple other things to set up, but if
you follow the thread above, it's cake. Note: I highly recommend that
you back up your current XF86Config file before modifying it to use the
TV-out. That way, if you have problems or just want to switch back to
your video card's TV-out, just replace the config with your backup and
restart.

Just remember, right now, there are problems with displaying MythMusic
visualizations full screen, and playing DVDs or video files that are not
MPEG-2. But the IVTV driver folks are working on it, and I imagine
they'll have something shortly. The IVTV and MythTV guys are doing a
fantastic job, BTW.

On another note, I am also having the problem that jep at obrien is having,
but I switch back to GF2 TV-out for now to solve it. I do have another
interesting note: it seems that ALSA detects the 350 as a sound card, so
it may be possible to write an ALSA module to allow output of MythMusic
and possibly MythGame sound through the TV-out, treating it as a
/dev/dsp device. This would mean that we could do without a separate
sound card, except for 5.1 digital out for DVDs.

Nelson