[mythtv-users] Questions on Myth TV

Nick Breau nkbreau at nbnet.nb.ca
Wed Nov 12 09:16:54 EST 2003

Hi All,

I have spent the weekend researching MythTV and have a few questions....

I'm trying to setup MythTV as cheaply as possible. If I went with the VIA
M1000 micro-ATX will that do the trick in terms of processor power and
video/sound requirements for basic PVR functionality ? So with this mobo all
I would need to get is a hard drive, RAM, dvd-rom and case/powersupply ?

Will MythTV be able to change the channels on my digital cable box (rogers
digital cable in canada) ? how would I accomplish this ? I'm
thinking/guessing it can be done through the serial port on the device or
via IR (remote control emulation?)  I think the digital cable box is made by
general instruments.

Would I run into any problems running Linux RH 9 ?

I think this is all... look forward to attempt to implement this project but
first want to make sure it doesn't cost twice the amount I am projecting...

thanks for any replies !