[mythtv-users] PVR-350 TV out

jose rubio debian at nc.rr.com
Wed Nov 12 08:13:07 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 21:43, Benjamin Rutt wrote:
> Does the TV-out (the S-video output, as I understand) from the PVR-350
> card (when using the hardware decoder in MythTV) just work?  Or does
> it require lots of tweaking of the XF86Config file in order to get the
> picture looking decent?  I'm just wondering since I'm considering
> purchasing a PVR-350 and wanted to know how well the TV-out would
> work.  I have a 4:3 NTSC 27" TV, and I really want MythTV's output to
> make it over to the TV.  Background:  I previously spent about 3 hours
> trying to get my Geforce2 GTS card to output a decent picture to my
> TV, and finally gave up, since the TV picture was always poor (it
> didn't fill the entire screen, or was curved near the corners of the
> screen).
>
> I understand there is some ongoing development to get the MythTV menus
> to be displayed via the TV out, but I'm mainly concerned about the
> MPEG->TV conversion.  Thanks for any advice,
> --
> Benjamin
> ----

The tv-out "just works"  You do need to set up you XF86Config file
exactly like it says to do so in the instructions in the ivtv-fb.c
file.  No tweaking.  I also have a Geforce2 card.  tv quality was ok
after weeks of tweaking.  Then I got me my threefity.  Tv quality is
better than my tivo.  And the "menus" look a lot better too!  you do
have to tweak myth overscan settings to get the menus full screen though
but that is easy. (10 minutes max).  Right now, the only issue is that
mythdvd and mythvideo do not work well with the 350 but there's a lot of
smart people working on it right now so it will be fine soon.
In short, tv quality cannot be better than what you get out of the 350
(IMHO) at least without hdtv.

-jose-