[mythtv-users] Re:RE:Cheap MPEG cards

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Tue Nov 11 21:33:21 EST 2003

The M179 does NOT require a sound card to record audio.  It has a different
sound chip than the PVR-250/350 which up until recently was unsupported, but
now it is supported using a patched ivtv driver.  The information in this
patch will eventually become part of the stock ivtv driver, but for now you
need to download the ivtv source, then apply the patch I referenced in my
previous email on the subject.

Here's another link to the patch which is an updated copy of the 'yuan' patch
which floated around a month or so ago.  The updates allow this patch to
support the M179 card in addition to the mpg160/mpg600 cards which were
supported by the original patch.

http://www4.infi.net/~cpinkham/tmp/ivtv_gpio_031110.patch

> Just to be clear before I go and buy some of these cards...
> It uses a separate audio chip unlike the pvr-250/350 however it is about to be supported in IVTV. The question.... does it use an audio cable that I need to pass into my soundcard like my TV Wonder VE uses or does the M179 mux the audio directly into the mpeg2 stream like pvr250/350?
>
> For example the spec on the M179 http://www.aver.com/products/tvtuner_M179.shtml#3  Under Requirements
> says "Sound card for Audio capture application" though this could be something else.....
>

> Brad

Chris