[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.12 upgrade problems

Ramon Redondo malinon at mchsi.com
Tue Nov 11 14:40:33 EST 2003

Harlan wrote:

>   Sound:  I really got this messed up.  I can watch TV using xawtv just fine.
>I am not able to mute the sound and use aplay /dev/dsp as MythTV install
>instructions suggest.
>
>Any ideas???  What else do you need to know???
>
>Setup:
>    Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq ES1371 [AudioPCI-97] (rev 9).
>    WinTV Go
>    e-gforce 2 video card
>    Linux fndsrv1 2.4.20-gentoo-r5 #1 Sun Oct 5 20:41:46 CDT 2003 i686 Celeron
>(Coppermine) GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

I am having similar problems.  Xawtv shows video, but I get the
following from aplay:
# aplay /dev/dsp
aplay: playback:1809: read error

However, if I go to Live TV, I have no problems.  Sound and video both
function.
If I play any recording, I get no sound.
BUT, if I have something recording in the background, and watch a
different recording, I get sound.

I also have no problems with mplayer and sound.

This used to work before I had to rebuild my system.

Config info:
Linux Kernel 2.4.22 (gentoo, vanilla-sources)
Alsa drivers 9.2 (alsa-oss 9.1)
Using OSS mode in Myth
Aplay version is also 9.2
Generic Brooktree tv card. (KWORLD)