[mythtv-users] DCT2000 serial pinout / Shaw Vancouver

Harondel J. Sibble help at pdscc.com
Tue Nov 11 13:48:30 EST 2003

On 10 Nov 2003 at 16:27, Paul Crick wrote:

> Hmm.. I wonder what that's all about then? Where do Gemstar fit in to the
> picture?

I had to dredge up some stuff from the depths of my memory, IIRC, it seems
that the Gemstar folks have copyrights on some of the codes used to control
boxes (vcr+) in addition to the guide stuff, I suspect that the concern is
the actual software we use to control the box rather than the serial port
control itself.  I'll dig deeper once I hear from Ron.

> I wonder if you could argue that you purchased the box so therefore should be
> able to control it serially? That also opens a can of worms - you own the box
> yet they push firmware upgrades down the line..

Heh

> Oh well.. provides entertainment right? ;-)

Yeah, but hey, that's what my myth box is for right? ;-P

--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting