[mythtv-users] [Q] : how to trace "wait for 2 seconds..." problem

Dave Weisbeck davemw at shaw.ca
Tue Nov 11 11:03:14 EST 2003

From: "manu" <eallaud at yahoo dot fr>

> Hi all,
> I run into this once a while (sometimes nothing in several days, but
> today it hit me twice). How could I trace it to nail down the bug?
> Just to be precise : the frontend image is stalled, and on the console
> I saws these messages "wait for...". I killed muythfrontend (don't
> remember if I could just have exited cleanly from it though), and
> restarted it, and then it worked.
> I can place some printf in the code if necessary.
> Bye
> Manu

Build in debug, wait for this to happen again, attach GDB and get a stack
trace.

For me, the problem was always the same. read was blocked in mythbackend,
but I have a PVR250 and a VIA chipset motherboard so I'm pretty convinced
that is the reason for the problems for me. I changed the code to do
nonblocking reads and it helps in that I can usually get the Esc key to exit
out of Live TV so that I can immediately reenter and not miss much of the
show. This doesn't help much with recordings though. =(

- Dave