[mythtv-users] Help with Jarod's Guide - Newbie

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sun Nov 9 23:57:13 EST 2003

On Nov 9, 2003, at 11:53, Aleaxander wrote:

> I should start by saying that I'm both a Linux and MythTV newbie, so
> please forgive any obviously stupid questions, but after spending
> about two weeks trying to get MythTV up and running I've decided to
> ask for help.

Let me start off by saying that I like the fact you've put in a good
deal of effort before coming to the list. :)

> RedHat 9 using Jarod's guide (RedHat installs fine, looks like all
> hardware recognized, but the guide is currently broken due to changes
> in the ATrpms: fail).  Jarod's guide looks about right for me in terms
> of an understandable walk-through of installing MythTV that still
> helps me learn something about what is actually going on
> (understanding Linux and MythTV) so that I am not always a newbie.
> Using Jarod's guide, along with some help from people here, I can
> hopefully work around some of the parts that are not currently working
> in it, get MythTV going and eventually help a couple of friends get
> setup as well.

We'll getcha up and running. Even if it kills us! ;p

> By the way, I have been reading and searching the mythtv-users mailing
> list archives (along with a few other Linux information sites) for
> help, and will continue to do so before I send future e-mails.

Excellent.

> First of all Jarod's guide has a message from Axel Thimm that explains
> the that guide will not work because he has moved the atrpms to the
> bleeding section, so setting up apt to use those seems like the first
> place to start.

No longer necessary as of about a week ago, but I just started a new
job this past week, so spare time has been in short supply. I actually
posted up a minor revision earlier this evening stating that you no
longer need at-bleeding enabled.

> Here is what I did to hopefully do that:.
>
> (After a fresh install of RedHat 9)
> #switchdesk KDE
> I only installed with the KDE Desktop Environment, so this was
> probably not necessary.

Correct.

> Next, I installed kick-start since apt does not appear to be installed
> by the RedHat installation.
> # rpm
> -ivhhttp://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/dist/rh9/atrpms-kickstart/
> atrpms-kickstart-18-1.rh9.at.i386.rpm
> (I used 18-1.rh9.at.i386.rpm rather than the 14-1.rh9.at.i386.rpm
> because it seemed to be the latest version).

Correct. I haven't updated that section yet. My next major update will
actually shift from Red Hat Linux 9 to Fedora Core 1, but everything
*should* more or less apply to any distribution that Axel packages rpms
for.

> in "/etc/apt/sources.list" I changed:
> rpm  http://apt.physik.fu-berlin.deredhat/9/en/i386 at-stable at-good
> at-testing
> rpm  http://apt.physik.fu-berlin.deredhat/9/en/i386 at-bleeding
>
> Is this the correct way to setup getting the atrpms from the
> at-bleeding section that Axel mentioned were needed for the guide to
> work?

No, not quite. You won't be able to install everything that way. While
it is somewhat moot now, since you don't need at-bleeding at all
anymore, you should have added at-bleeding to the other repos (tack
"at-bleeding" onto the end of the original line). You'll be best off to
simply switch back to the original line now.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...