[mythtv-users] Opinion: Hetis 865G ??

Travis travis at wsor.net
Sun Nov 9 19:20:38 EST 2003

I have been researching mythtv for several months and tempting myself with
this as my next project.  After searching for reviews both on the web and in
the archives here for opinions of the "Hetis 865G," I thought I might enlist
the help of you fine folks in determining the quality of this box.  The only
things I would add would be a single PVR-250 tuner, hd, dvd, and possibly
lcd screen.

Note, this is a case/mobo combo with power supply, no cpu/memory.  The spec
sheet is here:
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/netpc/netpc_detail.asp?model=Hetis_865G

My likes
vga/s-video/dvi
Spdif sound plus phono out in optical is not supported when I take this
somewhere Size, obviously
3.5 bay (HD + LCD display ??)
Price: just under $200 shipped

Dislikes
Location of optical out

Concerns
Heat
Noise (I'll probably slow the PSU fan and attempt a big, passive P4
heatsink, if it'll fit) Linux drivers (I'm still pretty green at linux, but
I'm working at it)

Thank you in advance for helping me make an informed decision on this
matter.  Mythtv is a wonderful community and I look forward to getting my
"hands dirty" soon.

-- Travis