[mythtv-users] Grainy output from Nvidia FX5200

Jim Valavanis jimvman at comcast.net
Fri Nov 7 10:50:40 EST 2003

Hello again everybody,

I picked up the Asus GEFORCE FX5200 adapter that has dual-DVI outputs,
and S-Video out (the only one I could get quickly).  The tuner card is
the Hauppauge 250.  I am outputting via 1-DVI output to a Panasonic 42"
Plasma display.  The problem is that the video is grainy, and not really
close to the direct cable to tv video quality.  I wanted to get DVI
output to get the best quality, but this doesn't seem to help.  FYI,
this is installed at a clients home, and I haven't had an opportunity to
test the 'cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg' output with mplayer. I will let
you know the results once I have a chance to test it.
But, I was seeing if there is something that I can do to quickly improve
the quality of the output.
The box is a dual-processes Pentium III 800MHz, and the speed seems OK,
but video quality not that great.  Do you think I should try S-Video out
as well, or DVI to component?  I don't think that will make much of a
difference.  What about certain settings in mythtv setup?

Any ideas?

Thanks again to all of those who helped me get to this point.

Jim