[mythtv-users] Re:Alternative to separate front-end

Drew Bernat abernat at zathras.net
Thu Nov 6 13:54:08 EST 2003

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, Ben Curtis wrote:

> Not to get too far off topic, but how is that physically possible?  The
> advantage of S-video over Composite is that the signals are split into
> seperate wires, thus less compression of color signals.  To me, running
> through RG6 is just like running through Composite, compressing the color
> signal into one wire.  Am I missing something?

Several RG6 cables :) S-video is really two miniature coax cables, and the
multi-RG6 route splits them out into full-sized coax. That allows for more
shielding.

> As a side note, we've ran 50-100' S-video lengths recently that get great
> signal.  I was also considering running through CAT5, but decided it would
> be simpler to go the S-vid cable route since I could just use modular
> connectors for the wall plates.

You don't want to use cat5. I did some research when switching the wiring
around on my setup (~25' video and digital audio, btw) and twisted pair is
horrible for unbalanced signals (i.e. video). You want foil and braid
shielding, the more the merrier.

Drew

--
Drew Bernat                                                __ ____