[mythtv-users] loss of video from PVR-250

Aran Cox spin at avalon.net
Thu Nov 6 13:08:14 EST 2003

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 02:23:35PM -0500, Christopher N. Deckard wrote:

> Everything works great (including IR) except for watching live TV
> (I'm not sure if recordings have the same problem).  Basically, I
> get pretty poor quality video.  Very grainy, lots of vertical
> interference of some kind.  For the most part, I can only watch a
> few seconds of live TV before the video feed completely stops.  At
> this point, mythfrontend uses no more CPU.  If I kill the backend,
> sometimes the frontend will return back to the menu, otherwise it
> stays locked up.  On one occasion the entire computer locked up.

Have you tried capturing to a file and looking at the output?

Like cat /dev/video0 > /tmp/somecap.mpg

Let it run for a while, ctrl-c and then

mplayer /tmp/somecap.mpg

To me it sounds like you have a bad cable connection, or a driver problem.

I didn't see where you mentioned how recent your ivtv driver is but you
might try upgrading it.  I suggest you get the above cat/mplayer to
look good and then try MythTV.

Aran