[mythtv-users] Getting ready to setup a new system

Dave Anderson dave at ineedasite.com
Wed Nov 5 21:03:32 EST 2003

Hello all,
I'm getting ready to setup a new MythTV system for the first time and
wanted opinions on my hardware.

I have an old Dell XPS PIII/650 MHz with 128 Meg Ram. I will up the ram to
265 Meg.
I'll be using the original 20 Gig HDD and an additional 180 Gig HDD.
I have a Hauppauge PVR-350 coming.
I have a PNY nVidia GeForce4 5600 Ultra coming.
Sound card is Yamaha based.
I also have a Pinnacle PCTV Pro I was thinking of adding in as a second tuner.

I'm hoping the high end tuner and video will compensate for the lack of
CPU. What do you all think? Will it work? I don't really care if I can't
pause live tv, but it would be nice if I can. Maybe down the road I can get
a faster cpu and use it as a backend for a few frontends located in the
family room and bedrooms.

Oh yeah, I plan to use RedHat 9.