[mythtv-users] Which Nvidia card for TV-OUT?

Jim Valavanis jimvman at comcast.net
Wed Nov 5 12:42:51 EST 2003

Jarod C. Wilson wrote:

> On Nov 4, 2003, at 11:38, Jim Valavanis wrote:
>
>> Yea damn it stop top-posting.  continued below....
>

> =]

>>> Jim, this of course assumes you *have* a DVI input on your TV for
>>> starters, and on top of that, that it is one that will allow you to
>>> connect a computer's DVI output to it. Some won't. That said, there
>>> ought to be at least one way you can connect to your 40" Plasma TV
>>> that is far superior to S-Video. I have my system hooked to a 47"
>>> HDTV using a VGA->Component Video adapter.
>>

>> OK, my hardware vendor recommends the following but knows nothing
>> about Linux, for a DVI output adapter. COMPAQ NVIDIA QUADRO4 380XGL.
>> Now to look for drivers and make sure it will work before spending
>> $240.00 (damn!).
>

> Your hardware vendor is trying gouge you. That, or they're just that
> stupid. A Quadro is massive overkill. Get a GF4MX. And if you can't
> find one of those w/a DVI (assuming you still want DVI on the card),
> get a GF FX 5200. Both easily had for under $100.
>
>> The Panasanic Plasma TV does have a DVI input, but as you say, maybe
>> it won't work from this DVI output?
>

> Maybe, maybe not. Hard to say without having the manual (and that may
> not even help) and actually trying it out. Some work, some don't. It's
> a huge crap-shoot.

>>> Warning: That'll only work if you have RGB Component inputs on your
>>> TV. If you have YPbPr Component inputs, you need a transcoder, and
>>> the only such devices I've seen are VGA->YPbPr, no DVI->YPbPr. My
>>> HDTV has YPbPr Component inputs, which I feed from the VGA out on my
>>> nForce2 board through an Audio Authority 9A60 transcoding adapter.
>>

>> So Jarod,
>> Do you think I should go with an nForce2 and use the VGA out with a
>> transcoder to the plasma display?  If this is good enough, it will
>> save some $ and time.
>

> Well, it may not save a huge amount of money. The transcoder I got was
> $108, though for me, it was well worth it. See if you can confirm if
> you have RGB or YPbPr Component inputs, because if you have RGB, a $20
> DVI->RGB Component cable should do the trick. If you can get the exact
> model number of your TV, I can try to take a look at the specs and
> probably make a better recommendation that way.

OK Here's the model sorry about the long URL...

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?storeId=11251&catalogId=11005&itemId=64589&catGroupId=11068&modelNo=TH-42PA20U&surfModel=TH-42PA20U
*
It is the 42" Panasonic TH-42PA20U/P

This unit has the component video input, the DVI input, and the S-Video
input.  *