[mythtv-users] Really small backend server (Pentium 200)

John Marrett johnf at dsl.ca
Wed Nov 5 10:40:14 EST 2003

> back a show I'm getting roughly 20% CPU use in the backend.  As long as
> you're running a 100base network you should be fine for network
> bandwidth as well.

Network is 100Mbps, no trouble there.

>>Would it be able to handle Live TV?
>
> work the same as a show playback.  During liveTV, my backend runs about
> 30% CPU.

When you say your "backend" do you really mean a backend process? Given
that your frontend machine is the same as the backend are you certain?

>>Would I be able to run two PVR-250 cards? With one of them doing Live
>>TV?
>
> You'll be doing two writes to the disk, as well as doing a read from
> disk.  Depending on the bitrate that you're using, you might start to
> have disk IO problems.  Again, with reasonable bitrates you should
> still be able to do it without a problem.

> You'll probably be running your P200 quite hard when you are doing
> liveTV and a recording.  If you have any CPU spike you'll probably see
> it in the recordings or playback.

This is not something I'm planning to set up right away. Hopefully I will
be able to upgrade my server before then.
It seems that I will probably be able to run one card with remote live TV,
or a recording, but probably not both...
Thanks Chris!

-JohnF