[mythtv-users] Really small backend server (Pentium 200)

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Wed Nov 5 10:22:37 EST 2003

On Wednesday 05 November 2003 09:15, John Marrett wrote:
> I've been looking at implementing MythTV on my home network.
>
> I am planning to buy a EPIA ME6000 for my frontend machine. I plan to
> run minimyth on it.
> I was wondering how small I can make the backend machine. I have a
> pentium 200 'server' at home.
> If I install a PVR-250 card to provide Hardware MPEG and install a
> ATA-133 card in the machine to drive a 160GB disk at ATA100+ speed
> would the machine be able to keep up? It seems to me that it has more
> than enough internal bandwidth to shuffle the 36 Mbits (1 x 12Mb
> write, 1 x 12Mb read, 1 x 12Mb to the network) around.
> Would it be able to handle Live TV?
>
> Would I be able to run two PVR-250 cards? With one of them doing Live
> TV?
>
> How many weeks would it take to re-encode an hour long recording ;)
>
> Has anyone else attempted this?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> -JohnF

If by 'LiveTV' you mean watching the stream on the frontend as it's
being recorded by the backend, then it really only depends on your
frontend being able to play back the stream.

But, why go this way at all?  You could just as easily put a PVR-250 &
the hard drive directly into the Epia frontend, and ditch the P-200.

-JAC