[mythtv-users] Web-based universal remote control

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 4 13:42:07 EST 2003

On Tuesday 04 November 2003 12:49, Rich wrote:
> Folks,
> I was thinking of creating a web-based universal
> remote for MythTV and all my other entertainment
> devices. There would be 2 parts.
>
> One that would call LIRC to drive my IR
> transmitter(control devices). That seems easy enough(I
> can use php exec to call 'RC SEND_ONCE DEVICE
> COMMAND').
>
> The second part is what I'm not sure about how to
> implement. I want to send a keypress to the local
> x-window so that i can navigate through mythfrontend.
> Does anyone know how to do this?

Well, what if you used Myth's native LIRC support, but instead of using
/dev/lirc you used a FIFO that you created.  The /dev/lirc is a
character (ascii) device IIRC, so you could just have your web app
write remote key names to the FIFO, where mythfrontend would pick them
up and process them according to your .lircrc.

Just a thought.

-JAC