[mythtv-users] Re: Problem with apt-get install mythtv-suite

James P Hanley jhanley at DGtlRift.com
Tue Nov 4 12:55:30 EST 2003

<quote who="Axel Thimm">
> On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 11:33:42AM -0500, James P Hanley wrote:
>> I'm attempting to install mythtv (0.12) and I am getting stuck right
>> about
>> here:
>>
>> [root at lava root]# apt-get install mythtv-suite
>> [...]
>> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>>   mythtv-suite: Depends: mythtv (>= 0.12) but it is not going to be
>> installed
>>                 Depends: mythtv-backend (>= 0.12) but it is not going to
>> be installed
>>                 Depends: mythtv-frontend (>= 0.12) but it is not going
>> be installed
>>                 Depends: mythmusic (>= 0.12) but it is not going to be
>> installed
>>[...]
>
> I cannot reproduce this, could you please try getting more debug
> output with
>
> apt-get -o Debug::pkgProblemResolver=true install mythtv-suite

Yes, this produced a massive amount of information which I beleive points
to qt or MySQL being the culprit

> Alternatively you can try installing the components one by one.
> E.g. like
>
> apt-get install mythtv-backend
>
> It will still fail, but it will reveal deeper dependency conflicts. It
> looks like libmyth will have some unsatifyable dependency.

This gave me less info but but focused to what the problem is:

[root at lava root]# apt-get install mythtv-backend
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Some [yada-yada-yada] situation:

  mythtv-backend: Depends: libmyth (= 0.12) but it is not going to be
installed
                  Depends: libmyth-0.12.so.0
                  Depends: mythtv (= 0.12) but it is not going to be
installed
                  Depends: xmltv (>= 0.5.8_utf8) but it is not going to be
installed
E: Broken packages
[root at lava root]#

Which left me to try:
[root at lava root]# apt-get install libmyth
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Some [yada-yada-yada] situation:

  libmyth: Depends: qt-MySQL but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

Which left me to try:
[root at lava root]# apt-get -o Debug::pkgProblemResolver=true install qt-MySQL
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Starting
Starting 2
Investigating qt-MySQL
Package qt-MySQL has broken dep on qt
  Considering qt 12 as a solution to qt-MySQL 10001
Done
Some [yada-yada-yada] situation:

  qt-MySQL: Depends: qt (= 1:3.1.1-6) but 1:3.1.2-14 is to be installed
E: Broken packages
[root at lava root]#

Which left me to try:
[root at lava root]# apt-get -o Debug::pkgProblemResolver=true install qt
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
qt is already the newest version.
Starting
Starting 2
Done
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 removed and 37 not upgraded.
[root at lava root]#

So if I have this right, libmyth wants qt-3.1.2-14, but I have qt-3.1.1-6,
and I can't upgrade because I already have the latest?
-Jim