[mythtv-users] Which Nvidia card for TV-OUT?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Nov 3 23:33:22 EST 2003

A: Because English is read from top to bottom, left to right.
Q: Why is top-posting a bad thing?

(top-posting rearranged)

On Nov 3, 2003, at 17:59, Edward Rudd wrote:

> On many of the Geforce 4 Nvidia cards there is the standard VGA output,
> the S-Video output, and a "DVI" output which goes to a digital display
> (like a LCD monitor). So if you install the official Nvidia drivers you
> can output X to the DVI adapter without a problem, or the TV adapter,
> or
> the regular VGA adapter..

Jim, this of course assumes you *have* a DVI input on your TV for
starters, and on top of that, that it is one that will allow you to
connect a computer's DVI output to it. Some won't. That said, there
ought to be at least one way you can connect to your 40" Plasma TV that
is far superior to S-Video. I have my system hooked to a 47" HDTV using
a VGA->Component Video adapter.

> I haven't actually done this *yet* but I will be sometime soon sending
> the output to a widescreen TV which has component inputs. And this is
> really from my brother telling me that there is a DVI to Component
> converter.

Warning: That'll only work if you have RGB Component inputs on your TV.
If you have YPbPr Component inputs, you need a transcoder, and the only
such devices I've seen are VGA->YPbPr, no DVI->YPbPr. My HDTV has YPbPr
Component inputs, which I feed from the VGA out on my nForce2 board
through an Audio Authority 9A60 transcoding adapter.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...