[mythtv-users] Conversion to DVD

Stuart Hodges mymythtv at twotails.org
Mon Nov 3 19:33:43 EST 2003

Hi,

        I am using MYTHTV successfully with a PVR-350. Occasionally I want to
save
something to DVD.

        The posting " Re:Burning DVD's from inside the Myth" says :
(It's just a matter of demuxing, remuxing with
NAV markers, then dvdauthor, mkisofs, cdrecord.)

        I get the dvdauthor, mkisofs, cdrecord bit, but the best I can do is :

1) Mencoder to convert to mjpeg and WAV.
mencoder -o OUTPUT_FILE -ofps 30 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mjpeg:vhq:vqmin=2:vqmax=10 -oac pcm INPUT_FILE

2) reencode video
cat OUTPUT_VIDEO | yuvscaler -O SIZE_720x480 | mpeg2enc -F4 -f 8 -q 5 -4 1 -2
1 -P -N -o VIDEO.m2v

3) reencode audio
lav2wav  OUTPUT_AUDIO | mp2enc -r 48000 -o AUDIO.mp2

4) Remultiplex
mplex -f 8 SOUND.mp2 VIDEO.m2v -o CONVERTED.mpg

Then dvddirgen etc.

I also have to cut the input video up on input to stop audio drift.

This takes a long time (14 hours processing time on a AMD 2100+) and the
output quality is not very good, loads of artifacts that were not in the
original video.

I tried using ffmpeg to create the mjpeg to get around using mencoder, but
yuvscalar did not like it.

Any ideas ?

        Thanks,

                Stuart