[mythtv-users] Re: problem watching tv - blank screen (james.casbon)

james.casbon james.casbon at a4internet.com
Sun Nov 2 09:49:03 EST 2003

> Is the tuner set as the input of the TV card or do you have something
> else set?

What do you mean 'set as the input'?  I have set the input connection to the
tuner in mythsetup - is there anything else?

> Tried this?
>
> http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-20.html#ss20.11

Well aplay seems able to play /dev/dsp:

bash-2.05b$ aplay /dev/dsp
Playing raw data '/dev/dsp' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
xrun!!! (at least 11.354 ms long)
xrun!!! (at least 12.938 ms long)

I don't know what those xrun bits mean though.  fuser does not report
anything using /dev/dsp.  But, I cannot hear anything when running aplay
and xawtv.

> were owned by root. Check the permissions on your audio devices - I
changed
> mine from root to mythtv and I *think* that solved the problem (my box is
in

Well the permissions are fine I think, I have changes the ownership to
mythtv user and it does not help.

Any ideas?  This is very annoying as it seems that myth nearly works (and
looks very good).

thanks,
James