[mythtv-users] How Do I Handle a TAR file

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Sat Nov 1 20:00:55 EST 2003

> I'm not a programmer and have no idea what to do with a *.tar file.
> I'm willing to learn.
> I'm running WinXP Pro.

tar == "tape archive"  it's a format originally designed for archiving
files onto tape drives, maintaining index info, etc at an easily
accessible location (since tape drives aren't random-access, this is
important).

WinZip, WinRar and other windows-based compression programs should be
able to open up a tar file, or a gzip-compressed tar file.

The better question is what are you going to do with it?  Since this is
the mythtv list, I'm assuming that you're trying to get at the mythtv
code, but it won't run in windows...

-Chris