[mythtv-users] Forums??

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Thu May 29 22:01:09 EDT 2003

At 10:32 PM 5/29/2003 -0500, Kevin Thorwesten wrote:
>If someone is going to help they are going to help. If they will take their
>time to respond to an email why would they not respond to a forum post? If
>there is no mailing list and forums only, the experienced users will still
>log on to the forums to check the posts as they log on to their email to
>check their emails. I dont see any difference there.

Are these observations based on actual experience using both forms of
communication, with you in the role of experienced user, answering
questions? My comments were based on experience with both approaches, both
my personal reactions and discussions I've had over the years with other
people who answer questions.

I work at a computer screen. I don't "log on" to my e-mail ... it shows up
every 2 minutes with no effort from me. I can glance at it whenever it
convenient, for a minute or an hour. It adapts to my other activities.

A forum, on the other hand, I have to make a specific effort to connect to.
And if I  want to follow several forums, I have to learn a different
interface for each one ... in contrast to my e-mail, which all comes to the
same, familiar MUA.

In practice, I don't ever look at a forum routinely, and I never log on to
one for the purpose of answering questions. I see messages in forums only
when Google searches turn them up, or, occasionally, if the forum is the
only option offered and I want to *ask* a question.

Now, admittedly, that's just me. But I've formed the impression that a lot
of others who answer questions are like me in their habits and preferences.

Of course, if you disagree, it would be straightforward enough for you to
set up and publicize a myth-users forum. It's (for now, at least) a free
country. Perhaps you will prove me wrong ... though I don't think you will.

>The only difference I see, which is also the benefit is the orgranization.
>And all the points that Ben Davies stated in his email.
[old stuff deleted]