[mythtv-users] Widescreen

Ben Bucksch linux.news at bucksch.org
Thu May 29 13:50:13 EDT 2003

matt at mattmarsh.net wrote:

>However, I was hoping to use the VGA out of the
>machine and plug that into a VGA input on the
>TV (this is an LCD TV BTW with a resolution of
>1280x768).

Which model and where did you buy it? (I haven't seen any flat screens
with ~30+ inches and high res and VGA or DVI input for any reasonable
price (<$1000), that's why I'm asking.)

>If I do this, what will happen? Will
>the TV likely still do it's whizzy stretching
>stuff if I set the res of the MythTV box to
>1024x768?

Depends on your TV, check the manual, manufacturer or just try it out.
For the computer, it's just a monitor.

>Or does all the clever stretching stuff need to occur on the MythTV box (which is what I'm suspecting) and if so, can MythTV do this?

    * IIRC, MythTV is only 4:3 at the moment, it can't even play 16:9
      MPEGs correctly.
    * I don't think you will want to *stretch* 4:3 videos to 16:9
      anyways, their aspect ratio is wrong then and they look strange.
    * If you want to cut the sides, then you might be able to make
      MythTV's player display with a resolution larger than your screen
      and center it, which should give the desired effect. I don't know,
      how you can influence the size of the player window, though.