[mythtv-users] Unable to watch TV, display issue

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Wed May 28 22:07:53 EDT 2003

There are a lot of oddities scattered through the history of this thread.
Perhaps a review of them is in order.

1. Sound oddities: you report these messages when trying to watch "live" TV:

> > > Unable to open mixer: '/dev/mixer'
> > > Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
> > > open: No such device

-AND-
> > > open: No such device
> > > player: Can't open audio device: /dev/dsp

You don't say if sound works right when watching "live" TVor not. These
messages would make me suspect it does not. If that's the case ...

See if the userid you are running MythTV as has access to these audio
devices (one way it to add it to group audio). Also make sure the device
entries exist and that they work (at the most primitive, that you can cat a
file to them and hear something).

2.  TV video problem: you describe it this way:

> > > When I select "watch TV" I get a
> > > mangled, black and white, jittery picture...If I'm
> > > lucky

Well ... you say you are using an "ati TV Wonder ve" vidcap card. The
CARDLIST file with my kernel source has this entry:
         "card=64 - ATI TV-Wonder VE"

And this is consistent with what the bttv driver finds when it autoprobes
the card (reported in dmesg):

>bttv0: detected: ATI TV Wonder/VE [card=64], PCI
>subsystem ID is 1002:0003

But you say use use this value, the one for a "generic" vidcap card, in
modules.conf:

>options bttv card=0 autoload=0 radio=0 pll=0

That mismatch may be causing your vidcap problem. (That the GUI displays
properly is irrelevant to this discussion; motion video uses an entirely
separate mechanism for display, xVideo ... but I doubt the problem is on
the display side.

3. You say: "I've looked but was unable to figure out how to change
the channel setting." I'm not quite sure what this means ... are you trying
to change channels in MythTV (with a keyboard, just key in the numbers you
want ... once you've done the right setup of mythfrontend and mythbackend)?
In xawtv, for testing purposes (one way is to use scantv to generate a
channel list for an xawtvrc file)? In some other app?

Your specification of tuner type 2 is probably right; your dmesg output
reports this ...

>tuner: probing bt848 #0 i2c adapter [id=0x10005]
>tuner: chip found @ 0xc0
>bttv0: i2c attach [client=Philips NTSC (FI1236 and
>compati,ok]

... and my CARDLIST file says "type=2 - Philips NTSC".

So I would expect the card itself to work, if you set up MythTV's backend
component right (exactly how to this varies a bit by distro for the
prepackaged versions, but the Myth HowTo has the basics).

I doubt these comments will help you to the point where you can fix your
problems. Bt perhaps they will let you focus in more exactly on the precise
nature of the problems.