[mythtv-users] PVR-250 newbie setup

Volckaert, Jeff jvolckaert at chartermi.net
Wed May 28 14:41:43 EDT 2003

Hello Everybody,

Before I dump my question on everyone I would like to say
goodjob to all the work that all the mythtv developers have
done.  It's amazing to see what has changed in the last
year.  From simple viewing TV and playing MP3s to a full
media recorder and entertainment center.  Wow.  I can
really see a time not too far from now when Wallmart sells
$299 MythTV Media PCs (probably no bigger than a shuttle
box).  Makes the $1500 MS Media PC look silly.

Anyway, I am new MythTV user (even though I have been
watching the project for some time now).  I have a Redhat 9
box with a Wintv PVR 250 card.  I have the ivtv driver
working and can watch TV with Mplayer and change channels
with the perl script.  I also did the apt-get install xmltv
(since that beast is a pain to install under Redhat with
all the perl addiitions it needs).  I also grabbed
MythTV-0.8 and CVS.  I run ./configure and then make and it
says it has nothing to do.  I assume I'm missing some
dependency, but cannot see it.  So, I did the next best
thing... apt-get install mythtv-frontend mythtv-backend.  I
then run setup and get into the GUI.  I grab some TV
listing, think I have everything setup, but cannot watch TV
without an error.  How do I setup Mythtv for the PVR-250
under Redhat 9?

Is this something I should just wait on the sidelines for a
few months for a 1.0 release (or a 0.99)?  Since Mythtv is
changing SOOO fast I would have no problem waiting a while.

BTW, Seperating the backend and the frontend is such a
great idea.  I would love to put my PVR card in my
server/firewall box and just watch TV over the LAN on one
of my other PCs.  Also, having it record and store all my
favorite shows on the server sounds very cool.  If only I
could stream them over the Net so others could watch them
under windows media player.  That would be the great.
 Video-on-demand.  Send email links to friends if they
missed a show, archive the family home videos and have my
parents watch them over the Net.  Too cool.

Thanks,
Jeff