[mythtv-users] Box I'm building

Aran Cox spin at avalon.net
Wed May 28 12:38:02 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 00:02, Daniel Jimenez wrote:
> I grabbed my 2500 XP for 99 bucks, so why it's such a high end
> processor.
>
> My only idea w/serial ATA was HDD speed. Serial ATA will be quite a bit
> faster, my question is... Will this be a huge difference? Should I spend
> the money on more space?
>
> Daniel

Speed is not what you need for MythTV, not really anyway.  Think about
it... how fast a drive do you need to write a 2GB file in 1 hour?
That's something like 582KB/sec.  With any relatively modern drive you
can easily get 10MB/sec or more.  Still, if you are writing two files
and reading back two more, seek time will be important.

I think the most important qualities a HD for MythTV has are:

Size
Noise
Seek Time
Throughput

So, IMHO, spend your money on big cheap ATA133 or ATA100 drives.