[mythtv-users] Pundit questions...

Dan Man danman at dtconnect.com
Tue May 27 17:31:53 EDT 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Davidson [mailto:smdavidson at belugasoftware.com]
Sent: Sunday, May 25, 2003 8:08 PM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: [mythtv-users] Pundit questions...

> I have some experience rolling lightweight distros for embedded
devices;
> would anyone be interested in beta testing or assisting development of
> frontend-only Midori or other flash-bootable distro?

I'd be interested in testing, I've never built a distribution though,
I'd help however I could.

> Does the Pundit have BIOS options for booting from SD/MMC/PCMCIA?
(this
> is not a show-stopper; there are several IDE->CF adapters available)

No BIOS support, looks like a IDE->CF adapter.

> What are the effective minimums for CPU and RAM for a (frontend-only)
> MythTV box on a Pundit?

I'm not sure of the minimums, but I'm running a 1.7 GHz Celeron and 512
MB Ram for my Front end only box. The CPU runs ~60% free while watching
TV, or a recording. At $55, the 1.7 is a good enough deal for me. Video
Ram is shared with system ram and I've got mine set to 64 MB. At $43 512
MB isn't that expensive either. (But that's just me, YMMV ; )

Another thing to note on video performance. In my setup, as far as
MythTV is concerned, VGA output is unusable. TV out is acceptable, but
not as good as some... Just remember you only paid $180 for the box...

DM