[mythtv-users] IR Transmitter help with RC, receiving some errors

Jason S jms_temp at yahoo.com
Tue May 27 09:55:59 EDT 2003

Hi,

I'm running Mandrake 9.1 and just got LIRC running
great. There are several problems that you will
encounter. (Sorry for the rambling dialog):

First, I didn't even realize that LIRC shipped with
Mandrake, so I tried to install it from the LIRC site
and follow their instructions. I followed everything
perfectly but could NOT get it to work. (I can't
remember the error, it was before the long weekend!)
It compiled fine, the problem came either with
installation or not working once installed. (Library
issues maybe?)

I realized that Mandrake had their own RPM so I
installed that and it worked perfectly. Then I made
the mistake of trying to make Windows my default
choice on bootup (using the GUI), somehow corrupting
my lilo.conf file and sending my world into a
tailspin.

After many hours I reinstalled Mandrake. I skipped
right over the web LIRC installation and used the
Mandrake version... which didn't work either!
Apparently the Mandrake install script is broken, and
it doesn't create a dev/lircd directory (see the
Mandrake forums for more information on this). The
first approach had worked for me because the web
version created that file, although it had a library
issue or something.

So, you've got two solutions if you are running
Mandrake 9.1 (I believe 9.0 has the same/similar
problems):
1) Be lazy and do what I did. (Install from the web,
and THEN install Mandrake's). Works pretty quickly,
although you are doing some
2) Pick one version and try to figure out what is
broken and fix it.

I tried (2) for a while with no luck, but I'm not a
Linux expert either. Good luck, hope this helps
someone out there...

- Jason