[mythtv-users] mythtv freezes when changing channels

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Mon May 26 10:46:07 EDT 2003

The answer depends on what the"it' is that you have to kill and how you
kill "it".

If you mean that mythfrontend freezes and you have to kill (or kill -9)
just the mythfrontend process (from a console or an ssh login) ... then you
can try what I do. I adjust my Myth GUI size so it is slightly smaller than
the screen, then I start mythfrontend from an xterm. If it freezes, I use
my access to the blackbox control bar (center bottom of the screen) to
switch to the xterm to see what errors are reported there.

There are many variants on this approach possible, depending mostly on
which window manager you are running. If you can't get access to the xterm
nohow, then try redirecting its STDOUT and STDERR to a file when you start
mythfrontend.