[mythtv-users] XBox as a front end?

Brett Profitt brettmyth at narnarnar.com
Sun May 25 22:34:44 EDT 2003

Hi Jeff.

I was wondering the same thing, and had a couple ideas about why this
probably won't work well.

First off, I don't have an Xbox, so this is just speculation from what
I've read of the specs

The Xbox only has 64 megs of ram.  While technically this should be
enough for just the frontend, I'm still a bit leery.  64 megs isn't
much...and it's seems like it's shared video ram, too...

I'm pretty sure it's a 10/100 ethernet adapter.  If it's supported
running at 100 under linux, then it should be fine for the streams, but
if it's only supported at 10, then this might pose a problem...

Another thing to consider...input to the Xbox.  I think you can purchase
a remote to be used with the Xbox's DVD stuff, but would this work under
linux?

I'm very interested in knowing how this turns out...

Brett