[mythtv-users] Hard crash, where to begin?

Matt matt at solecize.com
Sun May 25 17:35:54 EDT 2003

This is the second install that I have tried, and I my system continues
to crash if I try to watch TV.  It crashes so hard/fast that the log
file doesn't record anything.  I don't know what to try to resolve the
issue.  This install is RH9, and the previous install was RH8.  I know
that RedHat is not the preferred distro for myth, but that shouldn't
cause this problem.  I know that there are at least several other people
using redhat, and I followed the RH specific instructions to the letter.
  I compiled the non-CVS version, and it seemed to compile and install
fine.  I can go through the setup process just fine.  The mythfrontend
GUI loads fine and I can browse the program guide.  However, the system
locks up hard if I try to watch TV or record a show.  So, I think the
problem must be with the capturing. I was able to watch TV using both
xawtv and through mplayer.  Never tried capturing with mplayer.

Misc. info:

I've got a hauppauge with the bt878 (regular winTV not a PVR)
I'm trying to record using the mpeg4 codec
I'm using kernel software RAID 1 (mirroring) on a Promise IDE controller
could this be a problem? (no errors from this device in the log file)

What should I do?

Try the RTJPEG codec?
Newer bttv module (is there one?)
The CVS version of myth?