[mythtv-users] Master and Slave with capture cards

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sat May 24 19:54:51 EDT 2003

Ken VanDine wrote:
> Is this possible:

Yes 8-)

> -Master backend with WinTV, MySQL and lots of storage.
> -Slave backend/frontend with a PVR-250 capture card.
>
> I want the master backend to handle scheduled recordings and storage and the
> slave backend/frontend use it's pvr-250 for watching live-tv and watch
> recordings off the master.
>
> I tried this, but it captures off the master for live tv.  Is this the way
> it is designed to work?  Am I expecting to much?  Anyone have any tips to
> help me accomplish what I am trying to do?

Two questions; are you using the same video source for
both tuners? are you using current CVS?

If you have more than one video source (cable, satellite,
antenna, etc.) I think you will always get the first source
for LiveTV. If you have two sources into the first card, say
coax and s-video, you can use "c" to switch inputs once you
start LiveTV. However, if both backends have the same source
you can ignore all this ;-).

In 0.8 LiveTV would always come from the first availabe card.
About two weeks ago this changed in CVS. Now it checks to see
if there is an available tuner on the same host as the frontend.
If not, it uses the first available tuner anywhere. To "reserve"
a tuner, simply add it as the last tuner in setup so that the
scheduler won't try to use it until all other tuners are busy.

--  bjm