[mythtv-users] Seg faults are us - please help me before I toss this out the window :)

Dave Bush statman at twcny.rr.com
Sat May 24 04:19:39 EDT 2003

After many, many hours of experimentation I'm begging for assistance out
of frustration.

I've tried running MythTV on my system from RPM's I downloaded from
Thac's web site, from urpmi connecting to Mandrakes contribs, and from a
version I compiled from the tarball. Every one of them gives me the same
grief.

I start mythbackend, and then in another window I start mythfrontend. I
configure things accordingly when I first run the program, turn off
deinterlacing like it suggests in the FAQ, and such. Every time I try to
watch TV it just sits there. I switch back to the terminal window where
I have the backend running, and it ALWAYS looks like this:

[bushda at dogbert bushda]$ mythbackend
Starting up as the master server.
Probed: /dev/video1 - Television
Probed: /dev/video1 - Composite1
Probed: /dev/video1 - S-Video
Probed: /dev/video1 - Composite3
adding: dogbert.jrjackals.com as a player 1
adding: dogbert.jrjackals.com as a player 0
adding: dogbert.jrjackals.com as a player 0
adding: dogbert.jrjackals.com as a remote ringbuffer
Segmentation fault
[bushda at dogbert bushda]$

If I kill mythfrontend, start a fresh mythbackend, and then another
mythfrontend my system get's REALLY hosed. I cannot kill the mythbackend
processes even as root with kill -9 (pid of mythbackend). I have to
reboot the system to get them out of memory.

This is on a Compaq Presario S3000Z with an Athlon 2600, 256 MB RAM, 80
GB drive, GeForce 4 TI something or other running nVidia's drivers, a
Happaugue Win TV Go that works fine with xawtv, etc. My distro is
Mandrake 9.1, and I have various things installed that I grabbed as a
Mandrake Club member & from PLF.

What am I doing wrong here folks? I've followed the configuration howto
to a T. I've run the necessary setup prorgams and have configured
everything the way the howto says. Still I just can't convince this
thing it should work, which is too bad because it looks great.

What's my next step? About the only thing I can think of that I haven't
done is compile it from the CVS code, but I don't think that's the answer.

Too cheap to buy a Tivo,  (so far... :))
- Dave