[mythtv-users] mythbackend

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Thu May 22 17:34:48 EDT 2003

At 06:01 PM 5/22/2003 -0500, Hellboy wrote:
>[...]
>As for a more accurate description of the "crash", here it is. Actually, one
>of two things takes place:
>1. The systems locks up completely, and will not respond to anything. I
>cannot ping it, the escape sequence (I have Alt-Esc to shut down MythTV)
>doesn't work. Nothing. I have to do a hard reset to bring it back.
>2. The system reboots itself during playback. I usually get about 5 minutes
>before shutdown (long enough to get my hopes up that it will actually work).

In a different (non-Myth) setting, I had trouble with a machine doing video
capture. The symptoms were varied ... sometimes a kernel OOPs, sometimes
apps started segfaulting, sometimes everything worked fine except for video
capture. I never did solve that one ... just gave up using the machine for
vidcap (it works fine for everything else I've used it for, including
demanding things like kernel compiles and heavy ftp loads). Speculation
here was a problem with the front-side bus, but I couldn't find a way to
test that possibility specifically.

Just a thought ... these symptoms, vague as they are (though I don't see
how you  can be more specific, since the X server conceals the console
where an OOPS would be shown) sound like they might be the same sort of thing.